Frost School History

GET STARTED
1
Request Info
2
Visit
3
Apply
GET STARTED
1
Request Info
2
Visit
3
Apply

The University of Miami opened in the fall of 1926 with two academic units: the Conservatory of Music, and the College of Arts and Sciences. The Conservatory of Music was founded in October 1926 by Bertha M. Foster, who became the University's first music dean. The Conservatory was renamed the Frost School of Music in 2003 in honor of a landmark naming gift by Dr. Phillip and Patricia Frost, ardent supporters of the arts in Miami. With its start in the middle of the Jazz Age, in a fledgling city of 100,000 at the southern end of Henry Flagler’s East Coast Railroad, the Frost School of Music has survived 85 years of change and growth to become a national music leader in higher education.